Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Hand made taffy, dentists best friend

Making Taffy

When I was a little kid(1950) we lived on a farm outside of Spokane.

We had just returned from two years in Germany.

My father was tired of civil service, took a job driving hack nights to supplement the farm income.

By this time there were 11 of us kids and mom had him take one of us into town for a couple of days.

There were was Kress drug store next to the cab office.

In the window was one of those perpetual motion taffy pulling machines.

I quite literally would stand there for hours watching the motion trying to internalize that machine.

One night the druggist came out and handed me a piece.

A performance which was repeated every time I went to town.

Take that taffy, put it in your cheek like Walt Garrison pinching snuff and you're good for an hour.

That lump in my cheek got me in more trouble in school.

Took a lot of abuse from teachers .

My obstinance gave them fits.

Fast forward 58 years, sans teeth, pull out the dentures , pop in taffy and drive my wife nuts.

Little boys don't truly grow all the way up, Evahh

No comments:

Post a Comment