Saturday, October 3, 2009

Stupid Human Tricks

June 1985

We camped at the top of Sonora pass, about 9500 feet.

In the first weeks of June the alpine flowers are really, really beautiful

Afternoon #2 we-uns decided to hike

A mile or so had passed and we came to a fork in the trail.

Right fork went across a snow field, left fork climbed above it.

Wife says “I’m going left”

Mr. Adventure says “I’m going right”

About 200 yards across the snow, the toe holds I was making in the snow began to fail.

I slid backwards, downwards about 20 feet.

Stopped

Looked down

Maybe 300 foot crevice of rock

A dead fall.

The words that went through my mind were

“Looks like I’m the stupid human on the 6 O’clock news”

Took me nearly an hour to extricate me-self craw-fishing so to speak.

Stupid Human Tricks

No comments:

Post a Comment