Sunday, December 27, 2009

Desert Humanity

I was on a road trip using a borrowed Gold Wing

Riding from Santa Rosa CA to Scottsdale AZ in July 81 or 82

Stopped at a roadside place about 40 miles below Boulder dam (gone now)

Had a couple of cold Pabst

Jumped back on and rode

Got to Kingman, another 70 miles

Stopped and filled the tank

Reached in the tank bag for the wallet

Hey what the *%@#*&%?, no wallet

Some guy saw me fretting and came over and paid for the gas (deed #1)

Zoomed back to the roadside

Asked after my wallet, nothing but blank faces

It was a half dozen mobile homes and a roadside flee market

Couple of hours pass while I try to figure how to scrape up the cash/gas to get home.

Finally decide to sell my 45mm camera.

Hearing my plight

The flee market guy scrounged 18 buck from all the poor locals (deed #2)

About then the market/bar owner comes out and asks me to describe my wallet

Hands it to me and says

Some poor old hermit that lives 30-40 miles up in the desert had come back with it (deed #3)

Opened the wallet, in the secret pocket all 800 of my road bucks are intact

Store owner tells me that that was more than the guys annual income

The guy had evaporated into the desert by now.

He had a tab at the store

I paid it

RePaid the flee market denizens, bought em a beer

Had one myself and Rode on



Decent day for humanity



No comments:

Post a Comment