Saturday, December 12, 2009

A memory of sorts

I used to be into proving myself, to myself



December 16 1983 I wrapped my Quallofill bag, my dome tent, all things backpack camping.

Strapped them to the sissy bar of my bike, and headed out.

Rode up to Mt lassen.

Stopped in a bar {the only bar} in a little place name Mineral.

Put down a couple.

Rode another 20-25 miles, pulled off at a wide spot.

Taped a note to the tank saying, “if this bike is still here Dec 22, I’m in trouble”

Put my backpack together, strapped on my homemade snowshoes and traipsed north

Gorgeous snow, more gorgeous silence, even more sparkle.

Day three I came back to my camp and found the tub of my tent full of water.

The sun had come out full, the tent was closed and became a solar collector.

Melted the snow beneath, filled the tub.

Thought it out.

I could abandon my trip…or… I could find out whether Quallofill really works when wet.

Went with the latter.

Emptied the tent,

luckily I’d hung a mesh bag from the ridge pole with my socks and undies

wrung out the bag on a sapling

Made dinner.

Stripped naked, had a couple of gulps of single malt

Climbed in the bag, it warmed

I slept the night in relative comfort.

Quallofill worked

Hung the bag the next day, dried nice in the sun

Does anyone here question my sanity?

No comments:

Post a Comment